Watch Review - H2O Orca

For a little while, I have been looking for a fun watch that I can wear on the weekends or in other casual situations. When H2O released their Orca concept, it seemed to fit the bill – So I sorted through the multitude of options, waffled back and forth on what to choose, eventually ordered it and then anxiously awaited delivery. The components that I selected for my Orca were as follows:

 
Case(s) – Dress (7CARBON© hardened) and Mono (non-hardened)

Bezel – Bezel 1 with sapphire inlay “15 Second” (Dress case)

Dial – Dial 1 “Cool Grey”

Handset – Handset 1 “Black and Orange”

Crystal – Domed Sapphire

Options – 7CARBON© hardened Bracelet and extra grey leather strap.

Packaging:

The watch was arrived at my home packaged in a cardboard outer box. Inside the box, the H2O Orca was protected within a custom made “pelican type” hard case. The case is branded with H2O’s logo and appears to be very well made.

The inner hard case contained:  the Orca mounted on a leather strap, a generic Italian rubber strap, warranty card, two custom made H2O hex screwdrivers and the optional 5-link bracelet. All of the pieces were all securely contained inside the case within separate cutouts in the foam padding.

Case, Bezel and Crystal:

The overall design of the H2O Orca is very nice. The “Dress” outer case is one of the more conservative designs for the Orca line. The polished corners of the case give the case a refined look, but the industrial “tool watch” design remains a constant throughout the entire watch. I selected the optional 7CARBON© hardened case, which was one of the features that appealed most to me for using the watch in a casual environment without worrying about getting scuffs and scratches. I own several watches with hardened finishes and I am looking forward to seeing how the H2O hardening process compares.

The fit and finish of the watch head is very nice and the components that I selected seem to blend well into the overall look of the watch. When I received the watch, however, there were a  few imperfections in the model that I received. In their usual manner, H2O addressed the issues and provided a resolution in timely manner.

The bezel that I selected for my "Dress" case was the black sapphire coated crystal, with 15 minute dive timer. The grips on the edge of the bezel are very substantial and allow for easy manipulation of the bezel, even with gloves. The bezel has been hardened and, with the sapphire crystal, fairly safe from inadvertent scratches/scuffs. The timing increments on the bezel insert contain lume, which glows a nice blue tone when charged. As you can see from the photo below, the bezel glows nicely in dark conditions.

The final component to the case that I wanted to mention is the crystal. When I made my order, I decided to go with the sapphire “super domed” crystal. The crystal has anti-reflective coating applied on the inside of the crystal to reduce glare and ease of reading the dial at an angle.

Dial and Hands:

Out of the four potential dial options, I selected the “Cool Grey” version of “Dial 1”. This option provides the watch with a casual feel and, I feel, a great combination with the “Black and Orange” version of “Handset 1). I would describe the color of the dial as “medium grey”. It has a matte finish and the hour indices are outlined with (I believe) polished stainless steel. This gives a dial a very nice look and ties in the polished touches in the case finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts